Tuesday 6 March 2012

Origami stars and a vase

We got given a few vases as wedding gifts that are too big to use for cut flowers, but too small to safely keep on the floor - especially with cats.

So I found all my little origami lucky stars and put them in one vase. Unfortunately I didn't have many and it looked rather silly. So I started keeping a box of paper on the coffee table so I could fold paper stars while watching tv. I finally had a decent amount but just could not be bothered to make enough to fill the vase up completely - and I have absolutely no blue paper left!


Would you believe me if I told you that the vase on the left actually has less stars in it than the vase on the right?

Yep, that's right, I cheated and I wanted to share it with you. I mean you could do the same thing with a jar of buttons, beads, dice, gemstones, shells, and the list could go on and on and...

All you need is paper, tissues, toilet or paper towel rolls, scissors and sticky tape! Actually you could even omit the tissues and scissors.

Here is what I did:

  1. Gather your supplies.
  2. Sticky tape your toilet rolls together.
  3. Sticky tape paper around the 2 rolls.
  4. Use your tissues (easier to mould them flat than it is with paper) to cover the top and bottom holes.
  5. Make as many as you need to fill your vase.
  6. When you start filling your vase, just do one section at a time, making sure that your stars have hidden the toilet paper rolls. I actually compacted mine a little to make sure it all held in place and didn't settle later on.
And there you have it - a time saving illusion!

If you want, make a lid for your vase to stop it getting filled with dust.


I used a stiff piece of plastic from the carton of a salt and pepper grinder set. Just sit it on top of your vase, trace the edge with a permanent marker, cut it out and use Blu Tack to hold it in place. You can remove the permanent marker using metho.

It works great for fish bowls as well, just make sure you have a hole cut out for air. It also stops the cats drinking the fish bowl water!

Now I still have another glass vase to fill...

No comments:

Post a Comment